2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, salt, lemon zest and rosemary. Set aside
2. In the bowl stand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon juice. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Form the dough into a disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour or until firm.
3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 1/4 inch thick square. Cut into squares, rounds, or shape of your choice using a lightly floured cookie cutter. Place shortbread cookies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned around the edges. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Cookies will keep in an airtight container for a week or you can freeze them
Optional: Add a lemon glaze (just powdered sugar and a little lemon juice), candied lemon pieces and/or rosemary to the tops.